Some days it just seems hard to get going. Trying to find that extra bit of energy to get you through your day but it just isn't there. The periods of low energy may not be what they seem. Sometimes just doing a few simple things will not only help your energy levels but it can increase your metabolism as well. And anyway you can increase your metabolism is a good thing.
Here are 8 ways to help energize your days and increase your metabolism at the same time.
1. Get up and get out: Exercise is one of the most important energy boosters there is. Living the life of a couch potato lowers your energy levels. Your heart and lungs do not work as efficiently supplying less oxygen to the cells. Oxygen is a key component in cell metabolism and less oxygen means a slower metabolism. As your metabolism drops you burn fewer calories and gain weight. A slow metabolism will also cause you to feel fatigued and run down.
Exercise can reverse this energy drain. It increases cardiovascular efficiency, pumping more blood through the body and therefore greater amounts of oxygen, increasing the metabolic efficiency of the cells and the body as a whole.
2. Boost your breakfast: Most people make the mistake of either not eating breakfast or if they do it consists of a big cup of coffee and some sort of sugar filled sweet roll. While it satisfies the taste buds its long term energy output is minimal. Once the caffeine wears off and your blood sugar drops you'll be ready for that midmorning nap.
Eating a breakfast high in complex carbohydrates like whole grain cereal with skim milk and fruit will give you a long sustained energy source that keeps your metabolism at its optimum level well until lunch.
3. 8 Hours in the sack: Nothing recharges the batteries like a good night sleep. Sleep is the time when the body renews and heals itself. The best way to get more sleep is to go to bed earlier. That might put a damper on your channel surfing but your metabolism will thank you. Here are 5 ways to help improve your sleep.
Get on a schedule and go to bed about the same time every night.
Eat a high carbohydrate snack before bed.
Dont drink caffeinated drinks before bed.
Avoid alcoholic beverages before bed. You will not sleep as soundly with alcohol in your system.
4. Know your prime energy time: Are you a morning person or an evening person. Your body's energy runs in cycles, with high energy and low energy periods. Make a note of your energy cycles, when they are high and when they are low. Plan your major tasks at your high energy times and youll breeze right through them.
5. Have fun: Do things that make you happy. Take the time to partake in activities that you enjoy everyday, if possible. It doesn't have to be the same thing everyday but taking the time to do something fun decreases stress and helps to motivate you.
6. Take a break: Taking a break from work every one and a half to two hours helps refresh our minds and bodies. If your mind starts to wander or you find yourself wishing to take a nap during work get up from your desk and take a walk and get some fresh air. Movement is your body's best friend and helps jump start your metabolism giving you the energy to get through the day.
7. Alcohol is a downer: Alcohol, as we all know, is a depressant. While it can make us loose our inhibitions, at the end of the night your reaction times are slowed and drowsiness takes hold. What you may not realize is the fatigue and slowed thinking will continue the next day. Even if you only have a beer or two a day you may notice a vast difference in your energy levels if you eliminate the alcohol.
By following these seven tips you can boost your energy and increase your metabolism and before you know it your fatigue and lack of motivation will be a thing of the past. And who knows, you may even burn a few extra calories and lose some weight.