One of the keys to weight loss is figuring out how to boost your metabolic rate and believe it or not, its NOT rocket science. Here are 7 of the top ways for you to boost your metabolism and keep it that way:
• Increase Protein: Protein helps to stabilize insulin secretion into your blood, which can affect metabolism; aim for a minimum of 70 grams or more each day.
• Aerobic Workouts 3 X Week: Though exercise doesn't affect your resting metabolic rate, the extra calories you burn could add up to an additional 1-2 pounds of weight loss per month.
• Build Muscle Mass: Weight routines or strength training builds lean muscle tissue, which burns more calories at work or at rest, 24/7. The more lean muscle, the faster your metabolism.
• Don’t Skip Meals or Drastically Reduce Caloric Intake: If your body senses that food is limited, it will slow your metabolism to conserve energy and over time, the result is that when you do eat your body will be slower to use the calories and create a storage of unwanted pounds. Be sure is to cut your caloric intake by no more than 500 calories per day and never less than 1200 per day.
• Increase Daily Activity: Make a significant addition to the number of calories you burn each day with relatively minor changes in lifestyle, like taking the stairs instead of the elevator; park further away from the mall or office; or window-shop with your best friend rather than sit over coffee. These types of changes for just 20 minutes of your day will burn an additional 100 calories per day or an additional pound per month.
• Take an Evening Walk: Evening physical activity may be particularly beneficial. Since people's metabolism slows down toward the end of the day, 30 minutes of activity before dinner increases your metabolic rate and may keep it elevated for another 2-3 hours.
• Get Enough Zs: According to researchers, women who got less than 4 hours of sleep per night had a slower metabolism than those who slept for a full 8 hours.